Good evening, meat-lovers!
Except: I’m not much of a meat person, remember? I’m the quasi-vegan/vegetarian chick who prefers lentils to cheeseburgers and quinoa fritters to steak.
But here I am, shoving these Chicken Parmesan Meatballs down my throat like ….like I like them. Like I really like them. On risotto, over pasta, with pesto, in red sauce…..
Here’s the thing: as a food blogger and lover of all things edible, I sometimes try too hard because I have all these creative ideas floating in my head that are either too time-consuming for real life/weeknight dinners (leaving us hangry) or too difficult to put together because they require no less than a bajillion ingredients that cost too much or are out of season or or or…
We’re also currently on a budget that we’ve been mostly sticking with for the last….oh, since New Year’s….and I’m determined to not let it cramp my kitchen style.
These Chicken Parmesan Meatballs….man, oh man. Affordable, easy, delicious and versatile enough to eat 4 nights in a row (really).
Chicken Parmesan Meatballs
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 1 egg
- ½ c. parmesan cheese (or dairy-free alternative)
- ½ c. gluten free breadcrumbs
- ¼ c. chopped parsley
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (or ½ t. powdered garlic)
- 2 t. red pepper flakes
- ½ t. salt and pepper, each
- Optional: Sauce of choice, and extra cheese, basil or parsley for topping
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Combine all ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Heat 2 t. of oil in a medium-sized skillet and begin forming meatballs. Place about half the meatballs in the skillet and turn to brown on each side, for about 3-4 minutes.
- Continue with the rest of the meatballs. If using sauce, coat the bottom of a large cast iron pan (or other oven safe pan) with sauce, and place the browned meatballs on the sauce. Top with extra cheese, and bake for 12 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through.
- Top with extra basil, parsley, or parmesan and serve immediately. Freeze extra meatballs (sans sauce) or store in fridge for up to 5 days.